A giver is a World Book Night volunteer who gives books to people in their community who don't regularly read on April 23 to share their passion for reading.
For the first time in 2014 there are now two ways to volunteer to take part in World Book Night.
World Book Night Edition Book Givers apply to give copies of one of the 20 specially chosen and printed World Book Night books. Application to be a World Book Night Edition Book Giver is now closed.
Community Book Givers give books they have chosen and provided themselves to people in their community who don't regularly read. You can register to be a Community Book Giver and find out more about it here.
Community book giving is new for 2014. It gives people an opportunity to officially do what so many were doing anyway, which is to use April 23 as an opportunity to share your love of reading by giving books of your own choosing. It also means that anyone can take part in World Book Night and we're hoping as many people as possible will. You can give one book or dozens. You can take them from your shelves or buy them new or second hand. And you can give them to anyone you want. You don't have to apply to do this but we do ask that you register.
- World Book Night will NOT supply you with any books if you register as a Community Book Giver. Application to receive our specially printed books to give away is now closed.
- We’re looking for as many people as possible to volunteer to give at least one book to someone who doesn’t regularly read in their community
- As a volunteer you are responsible for the book you are giving, both choosing and providing it. You can take it from your shelf or buy it specially, new or second-hand
- Stickers and bookplates will be available from local bookshops and libraries and to download so your book can be officially branded as part of World Book Night
- You can give as many books as you want and we’d obviously love you to give lots but giving just one is enough
- All you need to do is register. You can tell us which book you’re giving, if you have already decided, as well as some more information about your plans if you want, but it’s not obligatory. Everyone who registers will be able to be a giver and there is no charge for registration
- Registration is now open and won’t close until just before World Book Night on April 23.
Being a World Book Night edition book giver is how people have traditionally taken part in World Book Night. It involves applying (via an online form) to be able to receive a set of 18 copies of a book of your choice (from our list of 20 titles) to give to people who don't regularly read on April 23.
- We’re looking for volunteers who can demonstrably give to the 35% of the population who don’t regularly read
- You can apply as an individual or on behalf of an organisation or institution
- Anyone can apply but you must be able to clearly demonstrate how you’ll be able to reach those who don’t regularly read
- You must choose books from our World Book Night list and state on the application form how you intend to give your books away including where and to whom
- Any applications to give books to regular readers will be rejected.
- As a volunteer giver you commit to collecting your books from a local bookshop or library (exceptions are made for large institutions such as prisons where we will make direct deliveries) in the week before World Book Night and to giving them to people who don’t read to encourage them to do so on or around April 23
- Application closed on January 23.